Sunday, November 24, 2013

Neon Nails

I have metallic blue fingernails. I was driving home from the salon and it hit my like a mani/pedi hangover!I'm way too old to have made such an immature decision. What was I thinking? I should know better. I might have gotten away with it when I was a teenager, but I'm not a teenager. I the MOTHER of teenagers. Dear Buhda, what have I done?

Perhaps I should have taken the hint when the nail tech asked--for the seventh time--"Blue on the fingers, too?" It's a beautiful color for a flower or an earring or even a dress. It shouldn't be on the tips of a 40 year old woman's fingers.

Why not just open up the polish remover, you ask. I thought about it. I almost did. Then I realized how wonderfully, terrifically, amazingly awesome it feels to have blue nail polish as my biggest current life regret. My current biggest regret is not a bad relationship. It's not a bad job choice. It's not a loss of temper or an embarrassing F-bomb foible. It's not a bad debt or even a now-empty gallon of Rocky Road ice cream. My current biggest life regret is nothing more than a questionable color choice. Now, that's a regret I can live with.

So, why should I be in some desperate hurry to erase it? To save myself embarrassment or critical glances? I don't think so. Perhaps, I should just live with it for a while. After all, it's a vivid reminder that life is...well...full of opportunities to create regret so I need to slow down my A.D.D. brain, think things through, don't make rash decisions, and (every now and then) consider the ancient wisdom of Asian philosophy.

What's your latest regret?

No comments:

Post a Comment